Appeal For Witnesses In Vernon House Fire Investigation

Gardaí investigating a suspicious fire at Vernon Mount House in Cork city have appealed for witnesses.

Eight fire brigade units spent around 10 hours tackling the blaze at the historic building in Douglas, which was reported at approximately 9.30pm on Sunday, 24 July.

The building is said to have been very badly damaged in the fire.

A number of people were reported to have been in the area at the time and Gardaí have called on these people to come forward to assist with the investigation. Anyone with information should contact Togher Garda Station on 021 4947120 or the Garda Confidential line 1800 666 111.


Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

15 January 2013
29-Year-Old Faces Arson Charges
A 29-year-old man is due in Dublin District Court charged with arson in connection to a fire at a three-storey house in Dublin. A number of people had to be rescued from the burning building on the South Circular Road last Sunday night. One woman, 24, was treated in hospital for minor injuries.
14 March 2024
Alliance Calls For Action To Protect Young People Online
The Alliance Party has called for action to help young people faced with blackmail or similar situations online.
16 July 2015
Water Charge Protest Held At Gates Of The Dáil
Some 300 people gathered on Kildare Street near to the Dáil on Wednesday afternoon to protest the water charges. Six gardaí vans responded to the protest, with confrontations between officers and protesters.
26 November 2007
Body Recovered In Wexford Pier Tragedy
The body of a man has now been recovered from a car which went off the pier at Cahore in North Wexford this morning. Garda divers were continuing to search the area on Monday afternoon for a second person who may have been in the vehicle at the time.
01 November 2017
Dublin Fire Brigade Responds To 1,100 Calls On Halloween Night
Dublin Fire Brigade has revealed it responded to 1,100 emergency calls during Halloween night. On what is normally the service's busiest night of the year, there were also reports of attacks on fire crews while Dublin Bus was forced to withdraw its service in part of the city.