06/07/2011

Free Access To OPW Heritage Sites

Free access to all Office of Public Works (OPW) Heritage sites on the first Wednesday of every month, launches today.

The Minister of State at the Department of Finance, Brian Hayes, said: “I have decided to waive the entry fee to all OPW managed heritage properties in order to stimulate an interest in our built heritage and to encourage visits by a wider section of all communities living in Ireland, in addition to visitors from abroad.”

The Minister continued: “I have decided that this free day, which is aimed at the independent traveller, will be the first Wednesday of each month and will apply, as a pilot project, until the end of 2011 when it will be reviewed and I would encourage people to visit www.heritageireland.ie where further information on all OPW managed sites with a guide service can be viewed.”

(BMcN/GK)

Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

06 March 2013
Green Lights To Be Turned On For St Patrick's Day
Minister of State with special responsibility for the Office of Public Works (OPW) today announced details of the greening of iconic State buildings to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.
09 February 2015
€624,000 Fund To Protect Heritage Buildings
A total of €624,000 is to be invested in upgrading and protecting heritage buildings in Ireland. The funding has been made available under the Structures at Risk Fund 2015. The fund is used to safeguard structures in both private and civic ownership, which are protected under the Planning and Development Act 2000.
15 January 2014
Govt To 'De-Designate' Bogs For Turf-Cutting
A number of bogs due to come under a turf-cutting ban later this year are to be "de-designated", the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht has announced. The department has said that it will produce a new list of bogs, containing a number that had previously been deemed as Natural Heritage Areas (NHAs) of Conservation.
21 May 2026
OPW Announces 24-Hour Bioblitz at Castletown House
The Office of Public Works (OPW) is inviting the public to participate in a 24-hour Bioblitz at Castletown House and Parklands on 22 and 23 May to celebrate Biodiversity Week 2026. The weekend event will feature a range of interactive activities, talks, and nature trails designed for families, visitors, and wildlife enthusiasts of all ages.
20 April 2026
Govt Unveils €365,000 Funding Boost for Irish World Heritage Sites
To mark World Heritage Day, Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage, James Browne TD, and Minister of State with Responsibility for Nature, Heritage and Biodiversity, Christopher O'Sullivan TD, have announced a major funding package to support Ireland's UNESCO World Heritage ambitions.