Gun Linked To Limerick Feud

A weapon, believed to have been involved in a Limerick feud, was this week at the heart of the trial of two men charged with possession of the gun.

Liam Keane and Greg Crawford - who were arrested by police at the conclusion of a high-speed chase - had their sentencing adjourned until late January, after Judge Carroll Moran heard evidence that a weapon in their possession may have been used in the city's long-standing feud.

Keane, 24, of Singland, Ballysimon, and Crawford, 21, of St Munchin's Street, St Mary's Park, pleaded guilty to suspicious possession of a Glock semi-automatic pistol and 13 rounds of 9mm ammunition at Athlunkard Road, Corbally, on May 4.

Mr Keane was also charged with the unlawful possession of a Mazda car on the same date.

Their arrests followed a chase involving local gardaí and members of the police Emergency Response Unit.

The court heard that police pursued the silver Mazda at speed and had to collide with the vehicle to stop its escape.

When both defendants are stopped, Keane was wearing a pair of latex plastic gloves, similar to those used by gardaí and forensics, and Crawford was wearing a pair of woollen gloves.

The court heard that 11 days prior to the seizure of the ammunition and weapon, the same gun was used to fire 14 shots at a member of the McCarthy-Dundon gang, according to the prosecution.


Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

26 September 2022
25-Year-Old Arrested For Attempted Murder Of Police Officers
A 25-year-old man has been arrested after using a tractor to ram three police cars in an attempt to evade capture. Officers investigating a report of a drink driver in Fivemiletown attended an address in the Tattenabuddagh Lane area just after midnight on Saturday 24 September as part of their enquiries.
16 September 2022
Teenager Cautioned For Directing Laser At Police Helicopter
A teenager has received a police caution 'after a laser beam was directed at a police helicopter'. According to reports, the incident occurred at around 11.30pm last night (Thursday 15 September) in the Ballyclare Street area of North Belfast.