06/02/2020

Body Discovered In Rusheen Bay Woods In 2014 Identified

A formal identification has been made of a man whose body was found in Rusheen Bay Woods, Barna, County Galway on 27 September, 2014.

The deceased man was found in the coastal area of Rusheen Bay Woods by a man walking his dog almost six years ago.

His death was treated as a personal tragedy, however as no form of identification was found with the deceased and he had very few items in his possession, garda were unable to establish his identity.

Extensive efforts were made by An Garda Síochána to confirm who this man was, including searches of local and international missing person's databases.

Fingerprinting and dental examinations were conducted, while a facial reconstruction was also carried out by Dr Christopher Rynn from the Centre for Anatomy and Human Identification at the University of Dundee, in Scotland.

Numerous media appeals were issued at various stages during the intervening months and years.

Among the man's few possessions when located, was a single silver key with EPA inscribed on it, Sterling and Euro currency, as well as a Canadian/USA watch and clothing believed to have been bought in the United States/Canada.

It was the key which resulted in the unlocking the mystery surrounding this man's identity.

In recent weeks two Polish individuals contacted Gardaí after only becoming aware of the previous appeals.

They informed Gardaí that a Polish man had been living with them in a house in Galway for a brief period in late September 2014 and had advised them to rent his room out after a certain period of time if he did not return.

Since that time the men had changed the locks in their home, but had retained the old locking mechanism. Gardaí were able to confirm that the key which had been found on the deceased man was a match to this locking mechanism.

This led to a definite line of enquiry as to the person's identity, and this past week a DNA comparison was conducted via Interpol in Poland, confirming the man to be a Polish national.

Gardaí understand that the man travelled to the United States in the early 1990s from Poland and in 2014 travelled to Ireland within weeks of being found in Rusheen Bay Woods.

Arising from the lack of a formal identity the State made arrangements for a burial to take place in Bohermore Cemetery, Co Galway.

The man's relatives have been contacted and a file will now be prepared for the County Coroner.

Although this man's death was treated as a personal tragedy An Garda Síochána in Salthill did not close the investigation into the identity of this man and this has ensured that his family now have some closure.

Superintendent Patrick McHugh said: "Great credit is due to the dedicated Gardaí who have been working this case to establish the identity of this man since 2014. The circumstances of this case are both sad and tragic. The family and An Garda Síochána are grateful to the individuals who came forward to provide us with the key to solving this matter. Taking the crucial step of contacting the Gardaí has ensured that this man's family are now aware of the whereabouts of their loved one."

(MH/CM)

Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

25 November 2015
Missing Co Mayo Man Found 'Safe And Well'
Missing Co Mayo man, David Duffy, has been found safe and well, garda have reported. Garda had issued an appeal for help in tracing 36-year-old Mr Duffy, who had not been seen since Sunday. Garda have thanked the public for their help and said that no further action is needed.
31 July 2018
Missing 25-Year-Old Man Found 'Safe And Well'
A 25-year-old man who was missing from Harcourt Street in Dublin has been found safe and well, Gardaí have reported. Simon Quinn was reported missing after last being seen at around 2.30am on Monday, 30 July. However, Mr Quinn has now been found and Gardaí said they wish to thank the media and public for their assistance.
14 April 2015
Missing Man Found 'Safe And Well'
A missing 24-year-old man has been found "safe and well". Alex Sherwin had been reported missing on Sunday, with garda issuing a public appeal for assistance. No information on Mr Sherwin's whereabouts have been released, but garda said the investigation had now ended. They thanked the public for their help.
15 December 2015
Garda Appeal For Witnesses To Fatal Road Accident
Gardaí have appealed for witnesses to a fatal road traffic collision in Dundalk on Thursday, 10 December. A 69-year-old man died in hospital following the collision on the Inner Relief Road in Dundalk at about 17:00, garda have reported. It is understood the man was driving a car that was involved in a collision with a bus.
29 August 2014
Man Injured In Shooting In Bray, Co Wicklow
Gardaí have launched an investigation after a man was shot in Bray, Co Wicklow, on Thursday evening. The man, believed to be in his 20s, is currently being treated at St Vincent's Hospital in Dublin. He is believed to have been shot in the People's Park in Bray at around 5.30pm. His injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.