10/02/2016

Unions And Management Urged To Avert Luas Strike

Unions and management involved in an ongoing Luas dispute have been urged to "re-engage" through the Labour Court in an effort of avoiding industrial action planned for Thursday and Friday.

Making the call, Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Paschal Donohoe, said: "Transdev, which is the private company that runs Luas, has begun notifying passengers that Luas services will not be running this Thursday and Friday, the 11th-12th February, and again the following week, the 18th-19th. If this action goes ahead as planned significant disruption will be caused to those who have come to depend on Luas to get to work and about their daily business.

"There have already been a number of attempts made to resolve this dispute through the Labour Court and the Workplace Relations Commission, which are the channels through which mediation and resolution are found. Strike action does not serve the company, the staff or service users well. I am asking unions and management to re-engage in discussions on the basis of reasonable negotiations so that strike action can be avoided and Luas can continue to serve commuters across our city in the weeks to come."

(MH/CD)

Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

11 March 2016
Further Luas Strike Action Announced
SIPTU Luas drivers have served notice of two further 48-hour work stoppages due to take place on 02 – 03 and 23 - 24 April. SIPTU said that the strike action was being taken over Transdev's refusal to engage in negotiations concerning their terms and conditions of employment.
26 May 2016
Planned Strike Action At Tesco Stores Called Off
Planned strike action by Tesco workers across 70 stores in Ireland has been called off. Industrial action was due to get underway at 7am today, 26 May. However, it is understood both sides have re-entered talks.
25 February 2016
Luas Dispute Unions And Management To Resume Talks
Unions and management involved in the ongoing Luas dispute have agreed to return to talks at the Workplace Relations Commission. Representatives of Transdev and workers unions will resume talks next week in a bid to averting further industrial action by Luas workers and resolving the dispute.
16 February 2016
Further Luas Strike Action Described As 'Extremely Disappointing'
The announcement of further strike action by Luas workers has been described as "extremely disappointing" by Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Paschal Donohoe. "News that Luas workers are to stage a further two days strike action on the 8th March and again on St.
20 September 2012
SIPTU Announce Strike Action For Luas Drivers
SIPTU member Luas drivers have voted in favour of strike action in a dispute over working conditions. The drivers have previously rejected a Labour Court recommendation some weeks ago in a dispute that started last March.