29/10/2013

Public Urged To Install Carbon Monoxide Monitors

The public has been urged to be more aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Ahead of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month in November, Sinn Féin MLA and Chair of the Health Committee Maeve McLaughlin said that people needed to be warned of the dangers.

"Carbon monoxide is an odourless gas that kills and unfortunately over the past few years we have seen an increase in tragic deaths of several people due to carbon monoxide poisoning," Ms McLaughlin said.

"It is important that people are aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, the situations that cause poisoning and how we can protect ourselves from carbon monoxide.

"I am calling on house providers both public and private to install carbon monoxide detectors in all new builds and for a subsidy to be provided for people to purchase detectors for current homes.

"I would call on people especially those who live in buildings deemed at high risk to purchase a detector immediately as this small investment could save you and your family’s lives."

(MH/IT)

Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

05 December 2019
Charity Urges New TDs To End Homelessness
Four new TDs who entered the Dáil this week have been urged to make ending the housing crisis a key priority, as new figures reveal a record total of 10,514 people homeless. The number of homeless in Ireland has shot up by a staggering 55% since the last general election in February 2016, when 5,811 were homeless.
19 December 2011
Investigation Into Death Of Sligo Family
An investigation has been launched into the deaths of three people at a house at Morgara, Gurteen, County Sligo on Sunday. Gardaí at Ballymote Garda Station said they are investigating the deaths of three members of a family after a relative raised the alarm on Sunday night. Gardai said they were called to the house at 9.
07 June 2011
Inquest Verdict 'Carbon Monoxide Poisoning'
A second inquest has today found that two people in the North murdered by disgraced dentist, Colin Howell and his lover Hazel Stewart were the victims of "homicidal carbon monoxide poisoning". Trevor Buchanan, a 32-year-old policeman and Mrs Howell, 31, were found in a car in a fume-filled garage in the seaside town of Castlerock, Co Londonderry.
05 August 2011
New Irish Standard For Carbon Monoxide Alarms
The publication of a new fast-tracked de facto Irish Standard for Carbon Monoxide alarms has been welcomed by Energy Minister Pat Rabbitte. This Standard is the result of urgent work over the past year by a number of gas industry experts under the auspices of the Gas Technical Standards Committee of the National Standards Authority of Ireland.
03 March 2020
23% Increase In Number Of People On Trolleys In February 2020 - INMO
February 2020 saw a 23% increase in the number of patients on trolleys in Irish hospitals compared to a year before. According to the latest Trolley Watch figures from the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation, 10,446 admitted patients were without beds in hospitals last month.