01/08/2012

Garda Compensation Scheme Approved

Proposals for a revised Garda compensation scheme were published today by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence, Mr Alan Shatter, TD.

The scheme relates to a death or injury which is maliciously inflicted upon a member of the Garda Síochána while on duty or in connection with their duties.

"The proposals represent a major improvement on the current compensation scheme for both Gardaí and the State. The majority of Gardaí who need to access the scheme will receive more prompt payments and the State will have reduced costs in administering the revised scheme." said Minister Shatter.

The details of the revised scheme, which were recently approved by the Government, are set out in the Draft General Scheme of the Garda Síochána Compensation (Malicious Injuries) Bill 2012. The development of a revised Garda compensation scheme is a commitment in the Croke Park Agreement.

The proposal devolves responsibility for implementing the revised scheme from the Minister to the Garda Commissioner and proposed legislative change will enable the State Claims Agency to administer the scheme on behalf of the Garda Commissioner.

Under the current Garda compensation scheme awards are made by the High Court. The reliance on an adversarial approach to determine awards is costly and applicants can wait several years before they receive compensation. All of the parties involved, including the Garda Síochána and the Garda Associations, agree on the need for a revised scheme.

(CD/GK)

Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

17 January 2020
Arrest As €100k Cannabis Seized In Co Sligo
A man is under arrest over the discovery of suspected cannabis worth an estimated €100,000 in Sligo. Gardaí uncovered the drugs, along with a sum of cash, during a search of a property in Ballymote on Thursday evening, 16 January. A male in his 30s was arrested and remains in custody at Ballymote Garda Station.
16 January 2020
Human Remains Confirmed As Those Of Dublin Teen
Human remains discovered outside a house in the Coolock area of north Dublin have been confirmed as those of a 17 year-old juvenile. Forensic Science Ireland said the partial remains found in Moatview Drive, Priorswood on Monday 13 January are those of Keane Mulready-Woods. The teenager had been missing since Sunday 12.
13 April 2011
Turf-Cutters Compensation Package To Be Launched
The Government has announced details of a compensation package for turf-cutters in sites where continued turf-cutting is no longer possible for reasons of environmental protection.
17 July 2014
100 New Recruits To Enter Garda College
One hundred new recruits are to enter Garda College, the Minister for Justice and Equity Frances Fitzgerald has announced. Training will commence in September this year at the Templemore facility, and marks the first new garda recruits to be recruited in five years.
27 June 2012
Improvements To Terms Of Sow Welfare Scheme Announced
The Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Simon Coveney TD, today announced that a revised Sow Welfare Scheme would be opened at the beginning of next month in order to further assist the pig sector in Ireland to comply with the new EU animal welfare rules which come into effect at the beginning of next year.