26/06/2012

Two Thirds Of Final Year Medical Students Do Not Plan To Work In Irish Hospitals

Fine Gael Senator for Cork and Seanad Spokesperson on Health, Colm Burke, has today released the results of a survey he commissioned of medical students across the country, which found that nearly two thirds of final year medical students (65.5%) do not plan on working within the Irish hospital system one year after their graduation.

Over half of the final year students are planning to leave Ireland and work abroad once they have completed their intern year, with the remaining 34.5% opting to work in Irish hospitals and 15.2% applying for the General Practitioner Training Scheme (total 49.7%).

He said: "These findings are a stark reminder that our young medical professionals do not see Ireland as a desirable place to work and that we must address the shortfalls that are driving our students overseas. When compared to studies of a similar nature, these findings further compound the fact that we are losing our young medical professionals to foreign shores at an alarming rate. This indicates that we are not only failing our medical students but that we are losing a valuable, precious and expensive resource to the taxpayer.

"A similar report carried out by the HSE in 2010-2011 (Implementation of the Reform of the Intern Year Second Interim Report), found that at the beginning of the internship year (the year immediately after graduation from medical school) 66% of interns intended to continue to work or train in Ireland. After the internship was completed, that figure dropped to 53%.

"There are a number of factors attributed to the brain drain of our medical students, including dissatisfaction with medical training structures, lack of intern places and working hours. Permanency issues are also a feature, with doctors appointed to training posts often being provided with contracts of between six and twelve months. In the UK, contracts of up to three years are the norm."

(CD/GK)

Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

11 July 2013
Cancer Patients No Longer Guaranteed Medical Card
People on low incomes diagnosed with cancer will no longer receive a special medical card unless their condition is terminal. Special medical cards are given to people over the "normal financial eligibility limit" but face high medical bills following an illness diagnosis.
21 August 2009
'Sadness' As Swine Flu Death Revealed
The North has suffered its first swine flu fatality. The woman died last night having been previously diagnosed with swine flu. She passed away in hospital and it is understood she had an underlying health condition.
30 May 2013
The Medical Council Launches Its Annual Report
The Medical Council today (30 May 2013) launched its 2012 Annual Report, in addition to a Term Report, outlining its work over the past five years. The Medical Council concludes its term of office at the end of May, with a new Council commencing its term in June.
01 July 2010
100 Jobs For Medical Devices Firm In Galway
A top US medical devices firm is to bring 100 jobs to Galway as part of the expansion of its plant. Merit Medical is investing €6.7m as the company enters the surgical pre-pack business in Europe, establishing Galway as its European centre.
20 April 2010
'Medicinal Cannabis' Protest Held
A protest is to be held today to highlight the "medical benefits" of Cannabis to suffering patients.