Relatives Claim Gallagher Handed Himself In To Get Inheritance

Family members of double killer John Gallagher have said they believe he has only handed himself in to the authorities in an attempt to secure a significant inheritance.

46-year-old Gallagher returned to the Central Mental Hospital in Dundrum this week, 12 years after he absconded.

In 1989 he was found guilty but insane of killing girlfriend Anne Gillespie and her mother Annie in the grounds of Sligo General Hospital a year earlier.

It is understood Gallagher’s father, Josie Gallagher, left a substantial inheritance to John and his brother Christopher.

Builder Josie Gallagher died three years ago and the two sons –

Christopher still lives at the family home in Lifford, Co Donegal – will inherit the house, land and money on the death of their mother, Margaret.

However, John would face legal problems staking a claim to the fortune, which is estimated to be "at least three or four hundred thousand euro."

While he remains officially insane, he would be made a ward of court and the Health Service Executive would be responsible for administering his estate.

And if he remained on the run, legal sources said he could not take possession of any property in the Republic.

Family members say they believe Gallagher's decision to hand himself into the Central Mental Hospital after 12 years on the run is "totally linked" to the inheritance.

"This is what he is up to now. He kills two people and he ends up with half of the family fortune," said one family member.

"Josie Gallagher was a very wealthy man and worked in the building supplies business and did very well at it.

"Right up until his death he believed John was insane when he killed the Gillespies and he looked after him financially after he absconded.”

Alongside this the shambolic way that news of Gallagher's return to Dundrum was given to the Gillespie family has caused widespread anger among gardai in Co Donegal, who only learned of it from the media.

Gardai immediately made contact with members of the Gillespie family, prompting an apology from Justice Minister Alan Shatter yesterday.

"I regret they weren't informed earlier," said Mr Shatter, "they were informed by the gardai on Tuesday evening. We are doing what we can to ensure that they have available to them the maximum information possible."

Gallagher, he said, is likely to apply to the Mental Health Review Board for release within days and could be free again "within a few weeks or months."


Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

19 April 2024
53-Year-Old Man Jailed For 21 Offences Against A Child
A 53-yea-old L'Derry man has been sentenced to a total of 13 years for 21 offences including rape, indecent assault of female child and cruelty to children.
12 March 2024
O'Dowd Announces New Measures To Tackle MOT Waiting Lists
New measures designed to tackle MOT waiting lists have been announced by Infrastructure Minister John O'Dowd. Speaking in the Assembly on Monday, 11 March, Mr O'Dowd said he will explore the introduction of temporary exemption certificates and proposals to consult on testing every two years.
25 October 2012
Medical Checks Advised After Prostitute Tests Positive For HIV
After it emerged that a prostitute who had been operating in Letterkenny recently is HIV positive, anyone who has used the services of prostitutes in Co Donegal has been urged to seek medical attention. Supt Vincent O'Brien issued the advice following the disclosure at a court sitting yesterday.
23 May 2012
Double-Killer John Gallagher Hands Himself In
Almost 12 years since absconding from Central Mental Hospital, double killer John Gallagher handed himself back in to the hospital earlier this month. Anne Lafferty, sister-in-law of one of his victim’s, said the family were told only last night that Gallagher was back in detention.
24 May 2012
Independent Panel To Decide On John Gallagher Case
Legal experts have said that an independent panel of doctors and experts will be tasked with deciding whether John Gallagher ought to be further detained, following his return to the Central Mental Hospital.