20/07/2010

Rent-To-Buy Scheme Unveiled

Dublin City Council is to unveil a 'rent-to-buy' scheme for affordable housing units today.

It is the first time such a scheme will be offered by a local authority, the council said.

Under the scheme tenants agree a fixed price to purchase the home with the council. They can then rent their home for up to three years without commitment, but if they choose to buy during that time, some 80% of rent paid will be taken off the price. The other 20% goes on administration.

A total of 91 properties in Glasnevin, Rialto and Dublin 11 will come under the scheme while priority will go to those already on the council's affordable housing list.

Fine Gael councillor Clare Byrne, representing Dublin's Lord Mayor will launch the Rent-to-Buy plan at 3.00pm today with 16 properties available to view to people on the City Council's Affordable Housing list.

"The scheme takes all the uncertainty out of the transaction enabling renters to acquire a nice home and plan properly for their future,” councillor Byrne said.

The Labour Party has welcomed the introduction of the scheme and called for it to be extended across the country.

"With well over 1,100 vacant residential properties languishing on local authority books, it is clear that we need a national rent-to-buy scheme so that people who need a home can get one. Such a scheme would need to done in an innovative and structured, backed up by hard data on property values and house prices," said the party's housing spokesman Ciaran Lynch.

(DW/BMcC)

Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

22 March 2019
Two Killed In Dublin Crash
Two people have been killed in a two-car collision in north Dublin this morning, Friday 22 March. The pair, a man in his 70s and a woman in her 30s, died in the crash on the Drumcondra Road at the junction of Hollybank Road at around 6am. The route remains closed while Gardaí carry out a technical and forensic examination.
14 March 2019
Other News In Brief
Dublin Bus Investigating Footage Of Man Hanging Onto Back Of Bus Dublin Bus has confirmed that it is investigating an incident this week after footage emerged of a man hanging onto the back of a fast-moving bus. The video was circulated on social media this week and appears to have been taken while the bus travelled through Finglas.
19 March 2019
Over 1m Cigarettes Seized In Dublin Port
Revenue officers have seized just over one million smuggled cigarettes in Dublin Port. The unstamped cigarettes were discovered with the assistance of revenue detector dogs and a mobile x-ray scanner when officers conducted an examination of freight which arrived from Rotterdam.
19 March 2019
Dublin Among 20 Most Expensive Cities Worldwide
Dublin has been ranked as the 19th most expensive country in the world. Paris, Hong Kong and Singapore were tied for the top spot in the Economist Intelligence Unit's 2019 Worldwide Cost of Living Survey. This annual index compares the costs of goods and services, including food, transport and rent in 133 cities around the world.
15 March 2019
Gardaí Issue Fresh Appeal For Missing Dublin Teenager
A renewed appeal for help tracing a teenager missing from her home in Dublin for over a fortnight has been issued. Julianna Moore Gita, 19, was last seen at her home in Hartstown on Monday 25 February. She is described as being five foot tall, of slim build with fair hair and hazel/brown eyes.