24/05/2010

Cuts To Cost North Further £128m

Further cuts are to be made in NI's already reduced spending budget.

As First Minister Peter Robinson and Martin McGuinness meet the leaders of the Scottish parliament and the Welsh assembly at Stormont for a summit, it has been revealed that the Northern Ireland Executive will have to save an extra £128m on top of other savings already anticipated this year.

The cuts are part of the overall package announced by the Treasury after the general election.

Chancellor George Osborne is giving the devolved regions the option of making the cuts now in this current financial year - or deferring them until the year after.

The Executive will decide which departments will be affected.

The cuts in 2010-2011 for devolved administrations will be £704m to be cut across NI, Scotland and Wales.

The Chancellor, George Osborne, said it was necessary to take "urgent action" to address the UK's budget deficit as he spelt out plans for £6.2bn worth of cuts.

This fresh round of £128m worth of cuts are on top of the £393m, that government departments in Northern Ireland have already been told they have to save this year.

However, the announcement is only the beginning of the government's three year programme to reduce the Uk's huge budget deficit.

(BMcC)

Related Irish News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

10 November 2010
State's Funding At Risk Says Cowen
Mr Cowen has claimed that a failure to make the proposed cuts in December's budget could put the Irish State's funding "at risk". The Taoiseach's comments were made in response to suggestions by Labour Leader Eamon Gilmore that the suggested cuts of €6 billion in the upcoming budget would "work against job creation and hamper growth".
07 June 2019
Renewed Appeal For 55-Year-Old Missing From Dublin
Gardaí have renewed their appeal for assistance in locating a 55-year-old man who is missing from his home in Sandyford, Dublin. Gerard Taylor has not been seen since Saturday 25 May. He was spotted near Ballinteer Avenue, Dublin 16, at around 9am that day and has not been seen since.
07 May 2019
14-Year-Old Boy Rescued Following Kidnapping In Finglas
A 14-year-old boy was rescued from the boot of a car after being abducted by a group of men. A 20-year-old man was arrested by armed gardaí officers who began chasing a vehicle driving erratically shortly after reports that a child had been abducted on Hazelcroft Road in Finglas.
13 February 2018
Appeal Issued For 15-Year-Old Roza Jakubowska
Gardaí in Naas have appeal for help in tracing the whereabouts of 15-year-old Roza Jakubowska who has been missing from Kilcullen, Co. Kildare since 09 February. Roza was last seen on the evening at approximately 6.50pm in Kilcullen, Co. Kildare. Roza is described as being 5'5" in height, slim build with sallow skin.
17 January 2018
Appeal Issued For 14-Year-Old Michael McDonagh
Gardaí have issued appeal for help in tracing the whereabouts of 14-year-old Michael McDonagh. The teenager was last seen at 8pm on the evening of 15th January, 2018 on the Main Street in Newbridge. He is described as approximately 5'10" in height, of slight build with short brown hair.